Sheng Yuan SY678/SH678: Extended Avengers Tower Review

Finally!
Previewed it here almost a year ago!



35 bags! They were labeled/numbered and at first, it was great. Just 1-2 bags open at a time, then at some point, I just had to open lots more other bags and it got kinda messy (compared to the initial building process). Still, it was fun to build and relatively easy.


Kinda questioning SY's quality though because I simply attached this claw piece on the bar piece then it started to have that crease thing.. The others were alright though, but this was quite a surprise for me given SY's good quality. Oh well, it's still bootlego at the end of the day.


These were all the extra parts at the end of the day.


And this was the only missing part. Is it bad that there's a missing part? Yes, but it's bootlego.. I'm just glad it's piece that's not unique to the set so I had extras. (Yeah it's the 2x1 grilled flat piece).


Oh and if you're interested, the booklet is this thick.. Instructions were very easy to follow though, no delays from trying to understand it. The biggest delays came from looking through the parts bags.


Just one sticker sheet and that big sticker for the stand thing. Sorry I took a picture only after building; I got too excited.. Hahaha


That's where you should stick the big sticker, but I'm not gonna do that anymore because 1) it's not even accurate to real Marvel stuff and 2) maybe I'll use the flat 8x6 plate for something else.


If you have the original Avengers Tower, then you will realize that the upper half of this extended tower is identical to the original one. Which is why I'll be focusing on the lower half.


Yes, the first half is almost as tall as Lepin's Ghostbusters HQ. Although of course Lepin's Ghostbusters HQ has more stuff inside and outside it. 




And that's a view of all the sides.

Overall, it looks great. There are some minor scratches on the blue glass pieces, but they weren't enough to ruin the whole look of the tower.

From here on out, I'll be referring to the rooms as room #A or room #B. # = Floor number and A/B = left/right or slanted windows side/curved windows side.


The first two floors.


Room 1B and room 2B. Those tools in room 2B are welcome additions!


Room 1B also has this removable door/window play feature.


For room 1A/1B, it's a two level room which has some sort of lamp. If you press the lamp forward, it will trigger a light which you will see in the picture below.


Room 3A lights up when you press the lamp thing below it. It's a picture of Loki's sceptre. Room 3B on the other hand is just a simple computer room that I think I'll end up customizing to fit other stuff instead.


Room 4A and room 4B. 4A seems like a mini Iron Man armor remover, which he doesn't even use in the movies anymore.. and room 4B seems like a room with just a moving arm..


Top view of 4A. It's the last of the new stuff added to this tower.


To be fair, room 4B's arm seems interesting enough to play with lol! Might still remove it to put other stuff instead.

Now onto the last 3 floors which I won't be talking much about because they're the usual towers anyway.. Digger318 has a review of the SY Avengers Tower (not extended) which should be the same as the top three floors of this.

Just an all around look of the regular tower.


Some of the roofdeck's features.


Just a quick look per floor. Nothing new, right?


They still have this for the Iron Legion figs.




Very solid build! The parts were attached to each other fairly well, better than our Lepin Ghostbusters HQ, as far as I remember. It's pretty stable despite being tall; I can shake it a bit and no parts would get removed. I also really enjoyed building it despite the hassle of looking through different parts bags.

 I would've bought two more of these towers instead of one Lepin Ghostbusters HQ, but then again, I didn't buy that HQ, my brother did. Hahaha. (Both sets are great though, don't get me wrong. I just prefer the tower because it's about half the price of the HQ and well I'm kinda biased because I love Marvel.)

Now onto the minifigs!

Iron Legion, Ant-Man, and Iron Man.
Iron Legion is actually different from the usual Iron Legion figs because the blue on his torso is lighter. As you can see, even just compared to the helmet and hands, they're much darker. I actually prefer this just so I can differentiate this Iron Legion from the others I have.
Ant-Man is my least favorite fig from the set, even though the Ant-Man fig is one of my favorite figs of all time. SY's Ant-Man figs have never had the red eye glass holes.. Then for this one, it gets worse with the alignment of prints for both torso and helmet, as you can see..
Iron Man is Iron Man. Well made, can't say anything else about it. No complaints. No wow factor.


Side prints. I mean, no side prints..


Under their helmets. Scott's face looks off but for the most part, people are gonna keep the helmet on anyway, right?


Alternate face prints.


Yep, badly aligned minifig prints.. Even the helmet from the previous picture.


If you didn't know,this Crossbones is not the same as TLG's. It's more based on the comics, and I love it. It's a shame that my Crossbones' face print has that very small black dot.. Good thing I was able to get another one from a mini local convention back then, even before I built this set. Yay.
Spider-Man looks different? Yeah well he's the same as Mighty Micros Spider-Man except with long, normal legs.
Captain America is the same as the usual MCU Captain America minifig.
In terms of quality, all of them are great! Printing wise and plastic wise!




Pictures.


White Wolf is a Black Panther villain. I initially thought it was the male White Tiger, but I was wrong. The design seems to have come from the video game.
Black Panther has green eyes instead of the usual yellow too. Interesting? Sure. Maybe we can pretend this is the older Black Panther and not T'Challa?
White Tiger is great for the most part. The thing on her forehead though has some scratches sadly. If you compare her to the other White Tiger figs, you'll also see a difference because this one's eyes are smaller/more closed than the usual. Up to preference which one is better!

Oh and yes, they didn't have their cat ears. Not a single one of them had cat ears.. Sheng Yuan never made the cat ears mold as far as I know..


White Wolf has some side prints!


Back view.


Tried on a XINH/POGO cat ear piece for White Wolf but it was too loose.. Also, the ears should have designs based on the game, but I would've been happy if it even just fit nicely..


Falcon. Great everything, still one of my fave figs. Redwing is too big compared to his size in the movies, but I still love him.


Only issue with this one is that there are no prints on Redwing or stickers. The SY Civil War Crossbones Jeep set had stickers or prints (can't remember) on Redwing so it's weird that this one didn't have..


Without Redwing. Also, just like SY's other CW Falcon figs and unlike TLG's official Falcon fig, his wings have ball joints that allow movement and I really prefer this. This guy is one of the figs wherein I'd prefer bootlego over official just because of the wings.


Back view.


Winter Soldier is copied from TLG's CA:WS movie polybag.
Iron Stan is copied from TLG's video game. His helmet is a new mold, and is very weird since SY can make such a mold but can't make cat ears? The helmet is also two pieces, but it doesn't open and I was afraid to remove the front part for pictures because it seemed too tightly attached and I was afraid to break it.. And yes, that moustache is printed.

There are eyeholes for Stan Lee's eyes and they fit nicely!


That's his face under the mask and I love it! Too bad we didn't get a hair piece for him, but hey I prefer the helmet at least.


Side prints.


Back prints. Stan also has an alternate face and even that face fits with the mask well!

TL;DR
Upper half of tower: Good but identical to original tower.
Lower half of tower: Good, has lighting and other features but some rooms are redundant (as a brick toy though you can change it at least)
Tower as a whole: Great. A must-have for any Marvel collector. Stable end product. Easy [and fun] to build.
Minifigs: Great. It's sad that most of them are repeats, but Iron Stan and Crossbones make up for it. White Wolf is also a welcome addition but the lack of cat ears is a bit disappointing.

If I had the money, I'd buy another one or two and make more Avengers bases.. But I don't. Hahaha

Sometimes AngeloMarcus Greenhills has this on stock so might as well check with them!

Share your thoughts below or through Facebook and please like the page for more previews, reviews, MOCs, and more! 

Comments

  1. I really want this set, partly for the tower, but honestly, mainly for Iron Stan and White Wolf. I hate exclusive figures like this. I can't justify that cost for those characters, and it's the same reason I missed out on the Doombot Mach V, Kurse, and the comics Groot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What sets did Doombot, Kurse and comic Groot come in??

      Delete
    2. Doombot from SY512
      Kurse from SY513
      Comic Groot from SY582

      I only have Comic Groot..

      And yeah, David, I missed out on Doombot and Kurse cause I didn't want their bigger sets.. I'm just here hoping Kopf will do them soon, just like they did Colossus .. But at least for this set, the tower itself is good which makes the figs kinda more worth it! :)

      Delete
  2. The light up part is direct copy of tower of orthanc, where the Crystal ball light up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that one's way better in terms of implementation. I wasn't a fan of the lights here.. but it's a good addition and I'm open to customizing it somehow hehe

      Delete
  3. Only usually do bootleg figs.. never bricks... this looks special though. Better than the piddly real one! :)
    Definently tempted!
    Good detail as ever dtb!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah same, But mainly because I can't afford big brick sets [yes even if they're bootlego] and no space at home haha

      But yeah this set is good!

      And thanks! :)

      Delete
  4. Your display stand is a sticker ? Well mine is printed with nice texture on it . And my Captain America is the ugly SY version . Seems like SY sets doesn't have consistency on all the sets that they make

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting. Maybe my Tower is a newer release? I think this might be like a second wave from the factories or something because for a few months, no stores had these for sale anymore, then suddenly a lot of stores have them again..

      Delete
  5. Hi! I have a Lego Avenger's tower and i would to build the extra floors of this set. Do you have any link i can find the instructions for? Just for match Lego with Lego and don't buy a double "first 3 floor" ahahha

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi! I have a Lego Avenger's tower and i would to build the extra floors of this set. Do you have any link i can find the instructions for? Just for match Lego with Lego and don't buy a double "first 3 floor" ahahha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw this video online! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMYuxMnwdEs

      Maybe it'll help :D

      Delete
    2. I built the tower in Lego Digital Designer, against which you could generate instructions for the lower floors.

      LXF file for LDD available here: http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=05092163578386238147

      Delete
  7. Hi there, we have misplaced the instructions for the Ninja Mech SY826A. Can you please provide it for us. You can send it via email marykevrensburg@gmail.com
    Thanks
    Maryke

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi can you send me a pdf instructions for lego 678 hero tower please
    nunosousafox@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same looking for instructions got the set but came with no instructions
      Antmanaz@gmail.com

      Delete
    2. Same looking for instructions got the set but came with no instructions
      Antmanaz@gmail.com

      Delete
    3. Same looking for instructions got the set but came with no instructions
      Antmanaz@gmail.com

      Delete
    4. Hi can you send me a pdf instructions for lego 678 hero tower please
      squale97_4@hotmail.com

      Delete
  9. Hi can you send me a pdf instructions for lego 678 hero tower please
    iceman_pico@yahoo.fr
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, I also want this instructions in pdf... could be possible? yuse121@hotmail.com

      Delete
  10. Hello guys! Who has a pdf instruction for SY678 hero tower? Please please help me ! Send me this instruction who has! Thank you a lot!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello guys! Who has a pdf instruction for SY678 hero tower? Please please help me ! Send me this instruction who has! Thank you a lot!!!
    sabinamandel5@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi can you send me a pdf instructions for lego 678 hero tower please
    gael.rodriguez31@gmail.com
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm also interested in pdf instructions for sy678. nightcrawler201@outlook.de. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi can you send me a pdf instructions for upgraded 678 hero tower please? scottcwaelde@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello, can you send me the instruction manual to slypher01@gmail.com? thx and greets florian

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hello, can you send me the instructionsmanual please .
    kfiryos@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hello , can u send me please, the manual instruction at tquillou@gmail.com
    Thx 2 u

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment