XINH X0170: Goliath, Classic Blue Beetle, Citizen Steel, Anti-Venom, and more Superhero Minifigs Review

First previewed here!


The set consists of:
XINH 687 - Wonder Woman
XINH 688 - Blue Beetle
XINH 689 - Giganta
XINH 690 - Green Goblin
XINH 691 - Goliath
XINH 692 - Citizen Steel
XINH 693 - Anti-Venom
XINH 694 - Talia Al'Ghul

Giganta was reviewed here.


It's important to note that we saw this Wonder Woman preview months ago and it's seen here because of how her baseplate is the old XINH type and not the new, more common baseplate.


Let's start with these three. A lot of people have been asking for that classic Blue Beetle minifig and XINH delivers! I'm familiar with the character only because of Young Justice and he looks cheesy sure, but the minifig really captures the character and I love it! Goliath being released was inevitable since it's copied off of an original one except XINH actually decided to give dual molded blue+yellow legs versus the original plan blue legs. (Even the hip part is yellow for XINH while it's all blue for TLG.) Some have recommended using his legs for the recently released POGO Doctor Fate since that one only has printed on legs. Citizen Steel is probably my least favorite in the set, but that doesn't mean I dislike him; it's just that all the others were amazing! I think the fig got the look of the CW character pretty well and I know a lot of you are collecting CWverse/Arrowverse characters so it's good to know bootleggers are interested in making them!

As for quality, they're great!


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njECTQ-53V0

FYI, Goliath is an exclusive minifig included in TLG's Marvel Superheroes 2 game. I've been wanting a Nintendo Switch then a copy of that game to play at home and on the go, but I've got limited budget so maybe if it goes on a big sale some months/years from now!


Blue Beetle's gun. That's the order of how I assembled it.


Side view. Simple side arm prints for Blue Beetle and Citizen Steel but it still makes them look much better!


No alternate faces though, but at least the primary faces were already good! The back leg printing is also a welcome addition!


Before anything, Anti-Venom came with those accessories you usually get with the Symbiotes but I removed it because I prefer the bare minifig.


Wonder Woman looks great. I think this is the first time we see that costume in minifig form and I'm sure many people are looking for that specific version so that's good! She also comes with her lasso! For Green Goblin, well, FINALLY! I think Lepin released this guy with the big bridge set, but in terms of single sale, only SY made one and it came with the wrong hairpieces. Now for Anti-Venom who any Symbiote fan would like. The design actually comes from agoodfella minifigs who is a great designer. I'm honestly surprised they copied agoodfella because I [personally] speculated in the past that bootleggers buy the figs first then they clone it, but this pretty much confirms that they just copy off of pictures.


Perhaps the only issue I had with this whole set: Green Goblin's hairpiece. You can see how the green paint doesn't cover the whole hat which is shame.


Yay for side prints. I would've preferred a Wonder Woman with side prints, but it's not as bad as those figs with no full pants on the front then on the sides it's one whole colors..


Back view. Now that back on Anti-Venom, maybe it was just improvised by XINH since I'm not sure if agoodfella even released a back view of their Anti-Venom.


Oh and a view of Green Goblin's shoulder bag. In case you're interested, XINH's MCU Concept Shocker also had one in brown.


Back view. Alternate faces for Green Goblin and Wonder Woman! Yay!


Can you tell which one is the original TLG minifig? Well the weapon gives it away kinda. I've been commending XINH for the great quality figs they've been releasing, but it's still not on the same level as TLG themselves. Again, I think that TLG will always be better in terms of quality, hence the price difference of course.

The first big difference between the two, and generally TLG and any other bootlegger, is the skin tone of the minifig, specifically the head. I can't explain it but I'm sure most of you guys have seen original TLG figs and then see their bootleg version, you'd easily say that TLG is superior. (At least fot the flesh skinned figs.) You can also see how the design elements on TLG's are sharper, the thing where XINH wins though is how the skin on the torso seems to better complement the head while TLG's torso skin seems a bit less bright than the fig itself.


The weapons. XINH probably hasn't made this mold yet, although POGO has with their LOTR Elves as far as I know.


A better look. You be the judge.


My XINH Talia is most likely defective since I couldn't place a hand in there. My usual technique of letting the hand hold a shield then I push the shield down didn't work. (I use a shield so that it's easy to keep the hand straight and hence prevent the hand from bending or breaking inside the arm.) In the end, the hand only reached until here.


Again, the skin tone.. I swear, TLG's heads are much better and it's hard to explain. I hope the pictures are enough, but I'd recommend getting a copy of an original TLG fig then comparing it with your bootlego.


Both have alternate faces though!


Also, TLG's molds are much more consistent. For example, XINH's hair has that line by the neck area while TLG's doesn't.

To summarize, yes TLG is better in terms of quality. It looks better and it also feels better! Yes, feels as in the way the parts move, the surface, the way it attaches to plates, etc. No bootlegger will probably beat TLG in terms of quality, maybe not even match them.. Although I hope these bootleggers see this as a challenge and that they improve, so as to make TLG improve too!

Bootleggers have been improving, no doubt about that, but the original will always be better. Although, the biggest problem right now isn't about quality anymore, but about design. These bootleggers will run out of designs soon; if they keep copying customizers, these customizers might stop and quit making new designs. A solution for this would be for bootleggers to hire their own artists, minifig design artists. I'm sure that in China, or wherever else they operate, a lot of their fans and even staff are skilled enough to create their own designs. Less people to offend too!

Back to this XINH set though, it's a great set. You can see though that no matter how great it is, it's still not on par with TLG's. Although the price can make or break these purchases too of course. Also, the set is great yes, and the credits for quality go to XINH, but for the designs, well don't thank them for those because someone else made them, most likely.

Also, sorry for the late review. AngeloMarcus Greenhills got these pretty early about a week or two ago, but it's finals week and I've been busy in school. At least it's ending, although I'm more excited for April/May than the Holidays because that's probably when the Infinity War sets will come out.. Hahahaha

Share your thoughts below or through Facebook and please like the page for more previews, reviews, MOCs, and more! 

Comments

  1. Great review! I got your FM, will check my fig and get back to you -- in fact, I should be getting the bootleg this week so I can do a comparison :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks and great design!! I really love the fig and I feel half bad and half good about liking it since it's bootleg haha

      Delete

Post a Comment