SY Sheng Yuan | Deadpool (set of 8) Minifigures Back Face Removal


If you've seen my previous post, you'd know how disappointing SY's Deadpool set was. Well here's something you guys can do to make things better. 

PLEASE READ THE WHOLE POST BEFORE DOING ANY ERASING. 


For example, these are 3 of the 8 minifigs included in SY's Deadpool set. Those faces are just.... pointless and horrible.


2 more over here, X-Force and Lady Deadpool.


X-Force Deadpool again in grey and 'X-Men Origins: Wolverine' Deadpool. The face kinda works with this XO:W Deadpool but double printed faces on helmet-less heads are just  horrible.


For context, I've already erased their faces for a while now. Maybe around one month, but even before that, Deadpool in Wolverine costume already had his face erased. I decided that it was best to test it on him (other than my Lele Captain America that was horrible) since he had a helmet. 


This is the magic potion. Nope, it's just plain old nail polish remover. I'm no expert in these but these worked well. I'd really recommend that you try these on minifigs you don't like first because these things come in different forms and ingredients. This one apparently has acetone and I don't even know if that makes a difference or not.

DISCLAIMER: I WILL NOT BE LIABLE FOR ANYTHING YOU DO TO YOUR OWN MINIFIGS. PLEASE BE CAREFUL AND TRY TO RESEARCH ABOUT IT THROUGH OTHER SITES AS WELL JUST TO BE REALLY SURE! I'd really hate if you mess up your minifig..


Grab your nail polish remover and a cotton ball. 
Again, practice on minifigs you're not to fond of first.


See, I'm starting with the worst Deadpool, X-Men Origins: Wolverine Deadpool. 


Put a bit of nail polish remover onto the cotton ball. Then lightly rub it over the print you want gone. Careful not to touch the part you actually like, or you might end up smudging the print even a little. That's why I prefer holding the head alone compared to putting the head on a body or a different piece. I'd also recommend having lots of cotton balls near you. Actually, after a rub or two, maybe switch to a different cotton ball already because the ink/paint tends to stick to the cotton ball/nail polish remover fairly quick [which will make erasing harder honestly]. 


After a few seconds, less than 5 seconds maybe, these are your results. 


Notice though the black smudges on the head. I believe it's the leftover ink/paint from the erased prints, but I'm too afraid to use more nail polish remover because it doesn't only remove ink/paint, it might also ruin the plastic. Hence the rougher surface on the heads after the process. 

AFTER THE PROCESS, YOU MIGHT FEEL THE ERASED PART A BIT MORE ROUGH, BUT NOTHING TOO MUCH. 


A look at the cotton ball after erasure. It can get even darker than that and that's why I recommend replacing it after a few strokes. 




I honestly don't know if it's just my eyes or not, but if you look at the back part of the head, you'll see the light reflection looking different, kinda showing the little bit of roughness produced after the process, though again it's not as bad as having those horrid faces.


Unluckily, I was very careless  and ended up erasing X-Men Deadpool's face.. 


Still haunts me to this day, though I have gotten a replacement already, in the expense of getting the whole set again because I couldn't find any single sellers.. 


On an extra note, I couldn't remove the print on this flat piece. I did try and ended up applying too much force that it made the piece rough and messed up while still having a smudged printing. 

If you've got any comments, questions, or suggestions, feel free to share them below! Don't forget to like Downtheblocks on Facebook as well!

UPDATE:
Check the comments section below for one of our reader's own way of erasing prints! Seems like a better way of doing it too! 

Comments

  1. You can't just erase Shen Yuan, lol.
    I've tried several removers during while customising my minifigs. Some of them work really bad and hardly erase enything, while others are super agressive. I've even bought polish corrector (pen with polish remover insted ink). But the most efficient way was to simply put cotton pad (not ball) with remover on minifigure's face anf leave for several seconds (depends on remover you use), the most of the paint will be on cotton pad, then use new cotton pad or q tips to remove the rest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh so no rubbing? just let it stay there?

      Delete
    2. Yes, it's similar to removing polish from nails. You can rub or you can apply wet pad for some time. Second way works better with dark colors or several polish layers. There are even such thingies for that https://www.aliexpress.com/item/-/32651090556.html
      So I just hold the pad on minifigure face and let the dissolvent make its work. And yeah it's better to detach good the body and use other, bad one.

      Delete
    3. Oh wow that seems like a better way of doing it! I'll update my post and point it downwards so people can see your comments! :)

      Delete
    4. Yup, because rubbing will make paint smudge over and we don't need it.
      But don't overdo it with polish remover, don't hold it for too long.

      Delete
  2. You can use Brasso. You have to rub a lot but the results are perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah heard about that. Though couldn't find some in our local stores.. Is Brasso a brand? Or does it have a generic name so I can use other brand? Haha

      Delete

Post a Comment