DTB: An Overview of Greenhills Shopping Center

A lot of people have messaged me asking about Greenhills and what it is, so here we go!

Shoppesville is one of the malls in Greenhills.

Greenhills Shopping Center is an all-in-one shopping area in the San Juan City, Metro Manila, Philippines. The place has a number of malls namely Shoppesville, Virra Mall, Theater Mall, Promenade, and some other attractions! 

While the shopping center has many things including apparel, gadgets, even religious establishments, we are a toy site and that's what we're gonna talk about in this post. When it comes to toys and collectibles, I don't think any place in the Philippines comes close to Greenhills. Sure, Greenhills has many other things like their famous tiangge (bargain stalls) areas and tech stores, but other places in the Philippines can compete with Greenhills like Divisoria for clothes and Gilmore for tech. For toys, nothing comes close. Divisoria is a close second, but probably 90% of the collectibles you'll find there are bootleg; for Greenhills it'll be a mix and honestly I think there are waaaaay more original stuff here.

Now I'll be showing some pictures of why I think Greenhills could well be considered the toy center of the Philippines. The idea of it being the toy center made sense after hearing about it in AngeloMarcus Greenhills (where we get our minifigs from).

This is Shoppesville Plus. It's a two floor area within the Shoppesville mall that houses numerous collectible stores, along with several video game stalls and a few gadget stalls.

The first Shoppesville Plus photo showed the right side of the second floor where AngeloMarcus Greenhills is, and this photo shows the left. Yes, those are all collectible stores on the second floor. It's a similar set up in the first floor. There will be some video game and gadget stores, but it's still mostly collectibles all around the area. Oh, and the center has a food place in case you get tired looking around, and you might.

One of the stores I regularly visit in Shoppesville Plus, other than AngeloMarcus Greenhills, is Gatecrashers. It's mainly a Magic the Gathering card shop with some other stuff for sale inside. This just shows how much of a haven for geek/pop culture enthusiasts Greenhills is. I'm sharing too much, but I might as well share that I play the pauper format since it's the cheapest format; I'm also building an EDH that I started around 4 years ago (it's still not done, I'm focusing on brick collectibles and other school expenses.. haha).

Speaking of focusing on brick toys, AngeloMarcus actually doesn't stop with it. While they mainly do sell minifigs and sets, they also have a general collectible store with all sorts of goodies. I used to collect Transformers and I honestly think this place is heaven for Transformers collectors.

Funko Pop is also a huge thing in Greenhills. Every once in a while you'll see a person or a family carrying a big bag full of Funko Pop toys. Even AngeloMarcus Greenhills has also started displaying and selling some Funko Pop!

"So for brick toys, it's only bootlegs?" Nope. You'll also find lots of stores with authentic TLG products! Sometimes even rare items too!

Though in case you just wanna visit and don't want to spend, looking around the stores can be quite enjoyable as well! Of course, these are also for sale in case you want them.

This Anti-Venom was amazing.

Oh and there are a lot of Hot Toys in Greenhills too. I honestly wanna collect these but I'm sticking to minifigs because they're affordable, have a lot of variants/characters, and are easier to store and display. 

Greenhills doesn't stop at being simply a place with stores though. There are also events that happen every once in a while, geek culture related and others.

This one is Greenhills Minicon. AngeloMarcus Greenhills is actually onfe of the hosts of this event. That's their stall on the right side of the picture.

They've got a promo in Greenhills Minicon right now. 3 minifigs for PHP 100. There's a lot of them to look through.

I'm assuming this display is from AngeloMarcus Greenhills as well. There's even a Sluban Jeepney set, an iconic vehicle in the Philippines.

And again, even if you don't wanna spend, you're gonna come across visually pleasing displays, set ups, and statues such as this Batman here and there.

The minicon is happening in Shoppesville Plus, just some steps from the Shoppesville Plus area. Around the same floor, you'll also spot a lot more collectible stores.

This whole row in the picture is filled with collectible stores from geek apparel and costumes to high end collectibles like Hot Toys. 

Filbar's also has this interesting brick building of their own store! Filbar's is a comic book store that has other geek/pop culture merchandise and collectibles as well. What caught my attention is that most, if not all, the figs on the set up are knockoffs... How do I know? I spent time making databases of these guys! Haha.

Now we're at Virra Mall. Virra Mall seems more like a mainstream mall. Though despite that, there are still a lot of collectibles stores here.

There's a whole area in the mall dedicated to toys and collectibles. Transformers, Funko Pop, plastic models (Gunpla, military, etc.), Hot Toys, card games, and many more.

The symbiotes have been catching my attention recently.. Does my mind really want to watch Venom!?

Speaking of Virra Mall being mainstream, they also have Toy Kingdom. Think of it as the Philippines' Toys R Us, though we also have Toys R Us here. This is the main toy store for everyone, especially kids.

Oh and don't forget about video games. Video games are really abundant in Greenhills as well. You'll find lots of games and consoles, both brand new and refurbished, throughout the shopping complex.

Again, Greenhills isn't just a bunch of buildings with a bunch of stores. The place also features events every once in a while. Moving back to our roots as being a brick blog, events like this: Brick Traders' Club are sure attractions to brick collectors. Though this event is more focused, if not only focused, on authentic TLG products. This event is also in Promenade, the more high class mall in the area. It houses fancier restaurants and nice cinemas, but it can also have collectible events like that one.

It was rather large, but I didn't go inside anymore. I just accompanied someone until the entrance and decided to take pictures.

Some builds by the BTC members.
That white building is actually the MalacaƱang Palace which is the official residence of the Philippine president. Next to it is a beautiful Statue of Liberty. I wasn't able to get the names of the builders, but do note that they're from BTC members and that they are extremely talented.

Greenhills, the toys and collectibles center of the Philippines. I have to say that I 100% agree. I don't think any place in the Philippines can compare to it. It's practically the Akihabara of the Philippines, and I hope that the place and the community keep getting bigger and better.

If you're ever gonna visit the Philippines, and I assume you're a brick fan if you're on this site, I highly recommend passing by Greenhills. Walking around even for non-brick related merchandise will be fun and satisfying. And no, I don't work for the Department of Tourism, I'm really just happy that collectors and enthusiasts can find a home in Greenhills and I'm sure these same people will welcome you when you visit.

Share your thoughts below or through Facebook and please like the page for more previews, reviews, MOCs, and more! 

Comments

  1. My country(Malaysia) also has something like this, but it's just smaller

    ReplyDelete
  2. I live in the southern US and the ONLY way I can get my hands on bootlegos is through AliExpress or eBay. Some of the bigger cities like New York or Los Angeles have Chinatowns where you can find them but I don't leave near anything like that. Sometimes we get traveling flea markets where you can find bootleg toys but I've never found bootlegos at those things. To have a place like AngeloMarcus Greenhills would be awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been selling the bootlego in my city in Canada for three years. I just post on Kijiji. I started getting baseplates in this year. It keeps my hobby going once I got into lepin sets.
    The comic con type thing in my city started getting bootlegos last year and this year there were loads. They ask too much. I don't but I make my profit by volume

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's always interesting to see snippets of life from other parts of the world.
    Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. thank you! Awesome pictures and great to see this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey, I live in the philippines and didnt know that there are some brick store in San Juan. I would be lovely to go there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much for this! Been wanting to go to Philippines for a while. AngeloMarcus will be the 1st place to go! My home country (Singapore) doesnt have this kinda shops

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment