Sheng Yuan SY688: Marvel's Spider-Man (2017 Series) Minifigs Review

First previewed here!



Seems like this is what they're based on. It comes straight from Disney/Marvel's site. Thanks to Lerdsak for the heads up on it though.

I'm pretty sure that the proto suit is the same as the new cartoon's proto suit.

I'll start with looking at what I think were the interesting pieces that came with the accessories

First of all, I'm not sure if some of these are official TLG molds or just molds made by SY (or copied by SY), but I have never seen them or generally just find them interesting. Some might even buy the figs simply for the accessories.

The supposed Symbiote Spider-Man comes with a backpack type of accessory that would fit the usual stud width, but if you insert that white cylinder inside, it can then fit stick like accessories inside. Also, Proto Spider-Man comes with skis, don't ask me why because I don't know. Hahaha.

These three also come with a backpack extra build.

The metal arm things come with Spider-Man 2099, the red handle-like + stick-hole piece comes with the regular Spider-Man, and the sticks that can move come with Miles.

(Forgive the lack of direct labels because I don't know what they're called so I just describe them as best as I can.. Haha)


Mile's sticks come in this runner. Those two things at the right allow one stick to attach from both sides, allowing them to move just like in the pictures above.

Alright, moving on to the minifigs. These arethe more important ones to review too.


Let's start with Vulture who honestly looks ridiculous with a transparent green Nova Corpsman helmet.. I keep wondering why they included that helmet.. It's a great mold, don't get me wrong, but why for Vulture? Haha.

The helmet could be a good accessory for Green Lantern collectors though.


I have one other issue other than the helmet, the wings end up overlapping with the belt accessory that Vulture came with. You can just choose to remove one of them to get rid of this issue. I ended up removing the belt.


To be fair, this is actually a good looking fig. Plastic and print quality is amazing as usual, and it's the same for all the figs. I personally stashed the green helmet away and will just keep/display Vulture the way he is in that picture.

A view of the back.

Green Lantern's projection? It's also interesting since supposedly, the counterpart of the Green Lantern Corps in the Marvel universe is the Nova Corps. You could use this for some interesting scenarios between DC and Marvel, specifically Green Lantern stuff..

Now for Black Suit (Symbiote) Spider-Man and Spider-Girl. I honestly thought that this Spider-Man is Steel Spider. He really looks like it. Maybe I'll MOC him just like how Maverick's Customs did! (Great MOC in my opinion.)

Quality wise, both print and plastic are still great!

A view of the backs.

Now for Proto Spider-Man and Regular Spider-Man. Regular Spider-Man is actually still different from other Spider-Man figs. The design is still different and you can see it immediately with the lower sides of the waist and the arm prints. Good Spider-Man design in my opinion. The spotlight goes to Proto Spider-Man though. This is very similar to the new Spider-Man show's proto suit. It's supposed to be inspired by the Homecoming suit, but I'm glad they still differentiated it.

I removed the hood accessory that came with Proto Spider-Man though since it was more maroon than red and it just didn't look too good on him. The hood print is enough for me, + we get to see the spider logo better.

Sides. This Spider-Man is the only fig in the set with side prints surprisingly.

Back view. No back face and back leg prints like the others too.

Now for Spider-Gwen. On the left is XINH's and on the right is POGO's. This is kinda a throwback to how POGO was better than XINH in the past; I mean just look at POGO's Spider-Gwen compared to XINH's. It's good that at least SY is giving us another option. Quality is much better for SY; SY > POGO > XINH in terms of print+plastic quality but design wise, I think POGO is best and SY is second.

They all have different back designs too.

No back head prints.

Now for Spider-Man 2099. The two on the sides are from DLP. Yest, both are DLP, but I think Dargo also has a version of the one on the right. As far as I know, this is 2099's new suit as compared to his more iconic blue suit. I think that black and white are the more accurate colors which makes the right fig the most accurate, and my personal preference, but the two others also look good. Quality on the three is great too, but I think the whites on the left fig aren't as good as the ones on the other two.

Oh and yes, SY's Spider-Man 2099 is grey instead of white.. Weird.

All have different backs and SY's isn't accurate to the original I think.

Now for Miles Morales. On the left is POGO's and on the right is SY's old Miles Morales (which I think is a replica of TLG's). Quality wise, both of SY's figs are great. I'll just... I won't talk about POGO anymore because you can already see which is better lol. Both Miles Morales designs are good in my opinion and different enough for perfectionists. Which do I prefer? The official design, but I wouldn't be sad if I only had the SY688 (the middle) version.


A view of the backs. No spider logo on SY688 and no back head print.

A good quality set in terms of plastic and print. In terms of design, well it's very subjective. They're all interesting for me, but that's because I love Spider-Man and I love collecting Spider-Man stuff. If you're a solid collector, they might even be worth a purchase.

This set is a reminder that SY can still produce good quality sets, but then we're also reminded that their design team isn't the best.. We all miss the old SY and I really hope they improve their designs and choices of releases..

I think AngeloMarcus Greenhilsl also has these in stock so feel free to check these out. They come boxed too as far as I know, for those who want to keep the boxes.

Share your thoughts below or through Facebook and please like the page for more previews, reviews, MOCs, and more! 

Comments

  1. Really hope that the nova corp helmet is transparent yellow

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have the proto suit, got it in Asia.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment