Lele XL020: Mazinger Z Minifig Review

First previewed here!

A highly anticipated minifig. Does it deliver? Let's see.

First of all, right out of the bag, this fig seemed so complicated. It'll help to have a picture of the preview, or this review to help guide you. It won't need instructions to build the fig, I think, but some parts might seem confusing especially if you're not too familiar with Mazinger Z.

I'll start off with his sword which I absolutely love. I think some people might be willing to buy the whole fig just for the sword. It's simple, feels good, and is colored evenly unlike other bootlego accessories.

Now for the fig itself. I would say that generally, it's a good fig. What's keeping it from being great are a bunch of small issues that could or could not be isolated issues. Though right now, if you're liking the fig, then I'd say go ahead and pick one up for yourself!

So where do these issues appear? First are the legs. They're uneven, and for the whole fig actually, the grey seems a bit on the faint side. 

The eyes also weren't centered horizontally and vertically as well as we'd prefer, but not too far from the helmet's eye holes at least. 

Other than some more minor print issues such as scratches or misaligned colors, these two are the only issues. 


From the side he looks great, even with some minor scratches here and there.

A view of the back. There's something really interesting here that I think other brands should also do. 

These are the accessories:



So what's the interesting thing? Well notice hoe there are so many pieces? Why not just make them into one whole mold so we don't have to build them? While I wouldn't want my fig to fall apart because of bad pegs in similar accessories, the best advantage to having parts like this is that there's no need to paint the designs anymore. For example, the gold fin on the wings don't need to be painted on anymore because the gold fin part is entirely separate from the red wings.

Well, at least that's my guess. I've seen issues though where I might prefer one whole mold as opposed to separate molds that can be combined. One main issue would be bad pegs, meaning that the pieces don't attach well enough to each other hence being loose and hard to pose.


Glad to see that Lele still invested on adding designs for the inside of the chest armor even though they're meant to be covered. Things like this are good news to MOCers and to generally all fans of the hobby especially Mazinger Z.

In case you're interested, I also already reviewed Lele's Tetsujin 28 here that AngeloMarcus Greenhills had in stock way before this one (because of Lele's shipments, I think).

Interested in what Lele's been up to? Check out our Lele set list.

Share your thoughts below or through Facebook and please like the page for more previews, reviews, MOCs, and more! 

Comments

  1. I have my fig done but I found what it seems to be an extra hand piece. Does it come that way or was packaging mistake?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment