Sheng Yuan 1184: (4 of 8) Bigfigs Including Two New Hulkbuster Molds, Thanos with 2 Infinity Gauntlets, and New Spider-Man Design Preview

First previewed here!

Yes, only 4 of 8 for now! It's worth noting that the classic Groot was included in an old Sheng Yuan Civil War set (oh and Kopf recently re-released it too) and so I wasn't rushing to get the new one since I already had that one. Cull Obsidian was also released for single sale by Sheng Yuan before. Hulk and Venom, well we have lots of Hulks and Venoms already. 

These are what we get out of the box from Igor, and similarly MK 44 Hulkbuster. I'm not a fan. As seen in the left picture, those pegs aren't even TLG system pegs. 

The reason for these not being really brick-based is because the mold comes from Disney Infinity. A video game that has toys you can buy for it. The mold they came from is Disney Infinity Hulkbuster.

Again, it's the same for Igor but the torso and head molds are different which I appreciate compared to simply repainting them blue and silver.

The forearm and shoulders have accessories that are removable and again are not brick pegs. The pegs on the bottom of these accessories can be held by minifig hands (I think they're the same in thickness as the usual TLG sticks, if not really really near.) but that's practically all they can be used for. (For example, a 3 open-stud long piece cannot accomodate the forearm guard.) I think this doesn't matter to a lot of people, but I also think that because these aren't really brick-based, some people might be able to skip these.

Thankfully Sheng Yuan still made the feet compatible with plates. I'm surprised they did this considering that many of their bigfigs have slanted feet that end up unable to attach to plates.

It theoretically attaches, but I couldn't fully attach them. I tried forcing the feet into the studs, but it was too difficult.

Now for a better look at both of them. Again, notice that the torso and head molds are different, yay!


Even the back parts of the torsos are different!

If you do want a more accurate Igor bigfig, I 'd recommend Decool's.
More variants seen in our Iron Man Guide here.

From where is this design anyway? I think I saw a LEBQ or JLB Spider-Man minifig that has the same design, or at least very similar.. Venom torso, blue arms, red body with yellow prints, and a yellow Spider-Man head.



I already have so many Thanos figs but this is a different variant so I picked it up anyway.
Slanted legs.. Disappointing.


Yes, two Infinity Gauntlets! I bet they just did it because the left and right arms/hands are more or less always identical anyway.. What would've been interesting is if we got two Gauntlet molds; one for the left and one for the right.


The helmet is removable, similar to most of Sheng Yuan's Thanos figs, if not all.

SY 1184 Grading

Plastic Quality: 5/5
No issues here. The figs didn't feel cheap, the weight felt right, and I didn't see any deformed parts.

Print Quality: 5/5
No issues here too as you can see. Even the prints on the new Hulkbusters looked really great. Thanos' belt print did seem off though, but not enough to get the grade down in my opinion.

Build Quality: Mixed
5/5 for Spider-Man simply because he's a plain old bigfig.
3.5/5 for Thanos because of the feet.
2/5 for the Hulkbusters because they're not TLG or brick figs, they're just toys with brick-ified feet and some parts.

Design Choice: 2/5
Spider-Man is a weird, probably non-canon variant.
Thanos is the 10000th variant (just kidding, but yeah we have so many variants already).
And the Hulkbusters have also been made already.

Are they worth it? If you're a completionist, then yeah. They're different enough from previous variants. But can you skip them? Yeah you can too, they're also not essential and not new bigfigs.
I think if anyone's truly worth it in the set, it's that classic Groot I mentioned above. (Plus, there's a whole planet of Groot and you can get lots as Groot people, yay!)

I'm not sure if AngeloMarcus Greenhills has these in stock, but if there's demand, they'll probably try and get them so just show them the previews or even the review so they know what you're talking about in case you inquire.

Share your thoughts below or through Facebook and please like the page for more previews, reviews, MOCs, and more! 

Comments

  1. I want this Hulk Buster, but when will it be released? I would like to purchase it at Ali Express.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment